Compassionate Support for Your Loved Ones
Your child is more than their ADHD diagnosis – Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) can impact children, teens, young adults, and adults. From challenges at school and strained relationships to mental and physical health challenges, the impact and characteristics of ADHD vary in severity from person to person.
What Is ADHD
Characteristics and Symptoms of ADHDChildren and teens with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) aren’t purposefully disobedient or oppositional. The problem is that ADHD can make it difficult for them to do things they find challenging or boring. Due to their underlying neurological disorder, they may also have difficulties controlling their behavior and paying attention. It can also cause them to have difficulty controlling their actions when they get frustrated.
- Rushes through or difficulty staying on task
- Appearing to not listen
- Easily distracted or daydreaming
- Challenges listening or following directions
- Difficulty organizing activities or tasks
- Tendency to lose or misplace things (such as keys or homework)
- Forgetting to complete tasks, such as schoolwork or chores
- Acts impulsively
- Excessive singing, humming or talking
- Noisy or disruptive behavior
- Trouble concentrating, starting/completing tasks, or playing quietly
- Excessive interrupting (such as calling out an answer in class)
- Difficulty waiting for his or her turn
- Avoiding tasks that require mental effort for long periods
- Excessive fidgeting or restlessness (such as tapping fingers or rustling papers)
- Difficulty remaining in one place (such as at the dinner table or at a desk in class)
- Constant movement (such as running, skipping, jumping, or spinning)
The first step for anyone who struggles with ADHD is an accurate diagnosis. At City Counseling, we diagnose and treat ADHD and other mental health challenges to support individuals on their path to living their fullest lives.
At City Counseling Center, we understand there is no “one size fits all” approach to therapy. We create an inclusive space where you will feel comfortable expressing your feelings and emotions. Our therapeutic solutions are tailored to your unique experiences and background to help you live a life where happiness and accomplishment are the focus – not your ADHD diagnosis.